Thursday, February 22, 2018

Lovely Blog Party: Molly and Roger

My appreciation post for Molly Gibson and Roger Hamley, part of Cordy's Lovely Blog Party! 

Molly and Roger Hamley, Wives and Daughters, are one of my all-time favorite couples. Here's why.

1. They started off as friends.
I adore this about them. They were such dear, sweet friends, and each of them mentioned that the other was like a brother/sister. Molly was dear to Roger's whole family, and she loved all of them. She was able to support them through both deaths, and they were able to support her as well, as those deaths affected her hugely too. Molly and Roger stayed close almost the whole time. They were friends to each other. They did what friends do. That's so important in a relationship, to be supportive best friend figures to each other.

2. It wasn't "love at first sight."
Look. I know a lot of people get frustrated with Roger for being a blind idiot for a long time. Me too. But.
This is kind of what I was talking about before, how they were good friends first. It just wouldn't work as a "love at first sight" relationship. (I mean, look at Mr. Cox. Just look at the poor fool.)
Molly's character is such that she has to build a foundation of trust and goodwill to really love someone. If Roger had liked her right off, say, like he did with Cynthia, I think that would have done nothing good for their relationship. More likely she'd have been taken aback by his bold attentions, and she'd avoid spending time at Hamley Hall because of the awkwardness, etc. 
But the way it happened, they became close through months of friendship and support and love, and from there Molly's sisterly love grew into true love for the man who meant so much to her.
As for Roger, well, it took seeing her in a fancy dress with her hair done all purdy to realize she wasn't just like a sister to him.
So like a man. But, the delay made it that much more meaningful, didn't it? Right? 
(I know, none of us would have minded if he woke up sooner. I agree.)
But still, once they did make it, they were such a perfect couple. They were so meant for each other. Which brings me to...

3. Their personalities and dispositions suit each other perfectly.
Molly needed someone who could understand her, and someone who could know what she needed. Take the lecture after he finds her crying, for example. Roger was kind and sympathetic, and then he also gave her a little lecture about what she could to to move forward, instead of crying. I've no doubt he continued to play the perfect supporting, caring, and guiding role for her.

Roger needed, well, Molly. A woman who could support and care for him. A woman who not only listened to his scientific talk but was interested in it and learned about it on her own to discuss with him. He needed a woman who could be a quiet influence on him for good. Someone who would understand him. And with all that, a woman who could love him truly and sincerely with her whole heart. (**coughcoughnotlikeCynthiacoughcough**)
(He also needed someone as perfectly sweet and darling and loving as Molly to forgive him for his nonsense.)

As a couple, they're clearly each other's partners, equals. They love and support each other perfectly.

4. They're intellectual equals.
I mentioned this before, but to go further...
Molly was interested in science, which was, I believe, somewhat unique for women of her age. Now part of it, perhaps, may have been that she was interested in Roger and therefore his interests, but truly, I believe she was genuinely fascinated by the things he told her, and really, who would read entire books on insects and things without some true interest? (There's a good long sentence for you.) Molly could understand what he was saying in those parts of his letters Cynthia dismissed as "nonsense". She could keep up with him, and considering the "man of science" he was, that's really quite impressive. 

And Roger, dear lad, I love watching in the movie how excited he gets about science, and how excited he is to see Molly's excitement about the same things. It's so cute.


Are they not just the most perfect, darling couple? If you haven't read or seen Wives and Daughters--well first of all WHY DID YOU READ THAT??? SPOILERS!!! There was a major spoiler in the title!!!--Oh but second of all go read it. Or watch it. 

What do y'all think of Molly and Roger? How forgiving are you towards Roger's foolishness? 

8 comments:

  1. Yep! They're one of my favorite couples ever too! I love that they're such nerds together and enjoy it! How my mother tends to describe Roger's fancy for Cynthia is he saw Cynthia and that she was beautiful, she showed a moderate amount of interest (cause that's what she does the awful lady!) and then he attributed many of Molly's good qualities to her as well and whala! She would have been like a Molly 2.0 in his mind!
    I do think you're right though that if he had fallen for Molly right away it would not have worked out as well. Theirs was a relationship that needed developing over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree!!
      Yes! I totally agree with that. The poor man was confusing himself. And Cynthia wasn't helping!
      Exactly!
      Thanks so much for your comment, Lois!!!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Rae!!

    Well, I wouldn't say that I'm overly forgiving of Roger's lack of attention. *aherm* But I do like the points you made about Molly's personality. It's true that if their relationship had immediately started as a romantic one, it might have truly startled her away. Never actually considered that so really awesome point there.

    As for the rest of the post, it's very entertaining and I think you did a fantastic job with it.

    (Side note...sort of...don't you think the hairstyles in the movie are outrageous? Hahaha. I mean, really Roger. You couldn't tell how pretty Molly was until you saw her hair done like that?! Hahaha. :D You know, this might be my problem. Never have I ever done my hair like that. I guess I will have to try it sometime just to make sure "he's" not missing how cute I am. NOT! Hehehe) Okay, sorry for that nonsense.

    Again, great job on the post, Rae!!

    ~Cordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welll, I don't blame you. He was, well, rather frustrating. I suppose. :D
      Thank you so much!!

      (Oh, YES. The hairstyles. I adore them for their absolute ridiculousness. But YES, Roger!! Really!! We should all try that hairstyle and see where it gets us. Who knows?) Don't apologize, Cordy, that's what I love. :D

      Thanks so much!! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. THIS POST IS AWESOME!!! Well done. I just finished reading the book again and I agree they really are a great couple. I do get a little annoyed with Roger sometimes because I think he overly ignores Molly, like more than a good friend really would have. (I guess I just can't understand guys who are so infatuated with a girl that they forget about everyone else around them...) But yeah, aside from that...Roger really is a dear character, and I like him a lot, and I totally forgive him for falling in love with Cynthia (after all, Cynthia is a very likeable and sweet person). I do like how he finally comes to notice Molly as more than just a friend! That is so sweet. (And then how he's so hurt when he feels like her behavior is changed toward him. Aww. Poor guy!!)

    Again, this was an excellent post! Love all the points you made. And yes, Molly and Roger were PERFECT for each other. No question. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!
      Oh, yes, Roger is rather frustrating. It's true. I need to reread the book!
      Yes, yes, yes!! True. Yes. (If you are reading this in your email or something, in response to a comment you wrote over a month ago, then how much fun you must be having trying to figure out what I'm saying that to. :D)

      Thank you so much!! I totally agree. <3

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I highly enjoy each comment! Just keep it clean and respectful. I do moderate, but as long as it's clean and respectful I should publish it within a short amount of time. Thank you!
Be sure to click "Notify Me" in the bottom-right corner of the comment box; I always reply to comments!
(I also do not mind comments on old posts at all! They are welcome!)