Friday, March 9, 2018

An Apology, Explanation, and Re-Take: Christian Girl Feminism

A few months ago, I wrote this post. It sparked some controversy (even more than when I said I didn't like the Anne movies!), and it got a lot of support, but I must say something about it:
I don't like it.
I didn't like it when I wrote it, and I like it less now, since I've been thinking about it for five months.

So let me try again.


First, I need to apologize for the post in general. Specifics will be thrown in along the way, but I am sorry I wrote it in such a manner.
Also, I apologize for, as one commenter (commentator? Hm) put it, "Christianizing" my ideas. This was not an inaccurate accusation. It's true. I know I "Christianized" my post, and I don't like the way it turned out.

I wrote this post out of frustration with the way things are in the world, and I "Christianized" it because I wanted it to fit in with my blog audience, because feminism is such a controversial topic. I was putting that mask over it so it would be more accepted.

It was all unnecessary and it sounds fake to me when I read it. As a good friend of mine who knows me well said, it was "cringey" (She's allowed to say that. It's okay. I agree.)

Before I go further, however, can I just give a huge THANK YOU to all those dear, lovely, supportive followers who "amen"ed and "LOVE"d this post?! You guys rock. Thanks for your support and love!

To continue, though, I also must give an equally big THANK YOU to those couple of people who pointed out the flaws of my post, even if I don't agree with everything they said, they helped me really think about what I really meant, and prepared me for this re-take. Thanks for helping me grow!

Re-take? Yes. Here we go. Here's what I was trying to say, plain and simple, without harsh words and Christianized sentiments.


It all comes down to worth. Our worth as daughters of God.
All those anecdotes I wrote out, all those passionate pleas I repeated, all those times I said "judge" and "judging" and "we need" and stuff--it could all be ignored. 
Out of the whole post, this is the bit that matters the most:
"We need feminism because no girl or woman deserves to feel worthless or inferior for following God's plan for her. We need feminism so girls are taught that their worth comes from being a daughter of God, a King, and not from anything else the world tries to tell them. We need feminism so that girls are taught to love their sisters because they all have the same worth she has. We need feminism so that we are united as sisters, instead of divided by differences."
My last post was all about "stop judging", to an audience of sweet girls who don't judge people, I'm sure. I don't want that to be my message.

What I want to say is, everyone is of equal worth to God. Every girl and woman has worth.

What I want to say is, that worth isn't affected by anything. All those examples I gave: marital status, personality, career and family choices, and so on and so forth--none of that affects how much you are worth.
What I want to say is, you are never worth less because of your situation in life or your choices, and you are never worthless because of them.

I want that to be my message, plain and simple. We are all beloved daughters (and sons if the case may be) of God, and we are all of infinite worth to Him. That's what matters. Life choices differ, situations aren't the same. But the "different" girl at church isn't worth less than that "perfect Christian woman" sitting across the chapel.

Feminism? I support it. Because to me, feminism is saying "I, as a woman, have worth". To me, feminism is saying "I will not accept less just because I'm a woman." To me, feminism is saying, "I will not let others make me feel inferior simply because I am a woman." To me, it is about empowerment and strength and worth.
I understand those who have different views on feminism, and as I mentioned in the other post, I don't support a lot of the connotations (pro-choice, immodesty, etc.) that come with feminism, but one thing I will always support:

We, as girls, ladies, and women, are of equal and infinite worth in the sight of our Father in Heaven.

Now go out there and live like it. You are incredible.

Together, as women who know our worth, we can change the world in small ways with big impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I highly enjoy each comment! Just keep it clean and respectful. I do moderate, but as long as it's clean and respectful I should publish it within a short amount of time. Thank you!
Be sure to click "Notify Me" in the bottom-right corner of the comment box; I always reply to comments!
(I also do not mind comments on old posts at all! They are welcome!)